Step One of the Patent Application Includes:
- Consultation and review by a registered USPTO patent attorney or agent.
- At NO EXTRA cost, you will get a comprehensive search for patents similar to your invention. You will be advised on up to 3 of the patent search results related to your invention by a patent specialist.
- Patent drawings prepared by a patent drawings expert (up to 5 pages)
No obligation to purchase Step Two (Patent Filing Package):
If you decide not to pursue a patent after receiving your patent consultation, you are free to do so.
Step Two of the Patent Application Includes:
Utility Patent Application Preparation and Filing
+ Federal Filing Fees $430*
- Additional Fee for Chemical Composition or Biological/Biotechnological Invention
- Follow-up consultation with a USPTO-registered patent attorney or agent
- Professional preparation and drafting of a non-provisional utility patent application, including 10 claims (up to three independent claims) and five pages of specifications
- Preparation of an Information Disclosure Statement
- Electronic filing of your utility patent application with the USPTO and payment of initial filing fees
*$430 govt fee assumes you are classified as “micro entity” by USPTO. If you have filed more than 4 non-provisional patent apps in the past, or have an annual income of greater than $184,116, you may be classified as “small entity” or “large entity” which requires a $785 or $1,720 govt fee.
DESIGN VS. UTILITY PATENTS
A design patent protects how your invention looks.
- Protects the shape of the invention only.
- Does not stop someone from making the invention if they make it with a different exterior shape.
- Cannot explain how the invention works and how it is put together.
A utility patent protects how your invention works.
- Protects how the invention works.
- Can stop someone from making the invention, regardless of the invention’s shape.
- Must explain how the invention works and how it is put together.